Monday, January 16, 2012

Globe Trotter: Golden Globe 2012

I am not a morning person but for some reason, I always get up for the live telecasts of awards shows. I am so glad that E! is now on SKY Cable, because they have the most comprehensive red carpet coverage, with the glamcam and the 360 degree camera. And people do love to hate on Ryan Seacrest, but he does ask good questions, and he is genuinely happy to see the stars in a non-stalker way. Normally, I don't love Giuliana's fashion choices, but she had a great dress this year by Basil Soda, and a Monique Lhullier at the pre-show. After infertility issues and breast cancer plus a mastectomy, she is glowing and radiant.



A stylist friend told me that Zac Posen was inspired by Filipiniana, and indeed Kelly Osbourne rocked her teal ballgown, described by fashion watchers as "box-sleeved" but very terno-like in my eyes. Even Madonna's and Julie Bowen's Reem Acra's looked like modern ternos.



Nudes and blues, trains and tails (care of Robert Downey, Jr.), and sparkly headbands marked the fashions this year. This may be the most chic Golden Globes ever, but, but, but . . .

Couldn't believe that Angelina Jolie chose Ronald McDonald lips to go with that red flap on her Versace goddess cream gown. I am her biggest fan, but it just didn't work.



But the awards night watching ritual is not complete without some tears. When The Artist was named Best Picture, and the producer told the story of his father winning the Oscar for short film, but unable to afford the ticket to fly from France to California, I couldn't hold back the tears.

Though Best Actress could have had the most talents this year, I always root for Meryl Streep, because she dos the best speeches.  and sure enough, she knocked it out of the park, and all extemporaneously.  She is the alpha and the omega.



Tweets were just as entertaining as the show itself.  In response to Elle Macpherson's admonition to drink lots of water, in Filipino, someone tweeted: "Even if I drown myself in water, I could never look like Elle." Haters ranted about the preponderance of "back fat on the old ladies." But on the whole, tweets declared, "I wish I could live on one of those gorgeous Golden Globe dresses!" My sentiments exactly!



P.S. Dear Hollywood Foreign Press Association, give Ricky Gervais his walking papers. The jokes were OLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment