Wednesday, May 02, 2012

When In Rome

I have encountered Rome many times, each time I had a unique experience, new sights to see, new people to meet, many memories to bring with me back at home. However, my latest encounter was by far the most valuable, and the most memorable to date. There were many magnificent views like the familiar circle of the Colosseum, the ever-historical Pantheon building and the solemn outskirts of the Vatican. But among these places, the Vatican holds very dear to my heart, specifically because I was able to encounter the Pope, himself, being close to one of the holiest person in our time made my latest trip in Rome very sentimental, not to mention, special. Did I say it was my birthday when all these amazing things happened? Oh yes it was!

Benvenuti!
Lateranense, the tallest obelisk in Rome, and the largest standing ancient Egyptian obelisk in the world, weighing over 230 tons.
Oh di ba, parang Madonna lang, "Like a Prayer!"
Of course, there's Angelette's version.
Wallpapers ancient style?

Sana nag-Star Margarine ako nung bata ako. 
Ara Pacis Augustae (Altar of Augustan Peace)


Displayed are sculptures in gleaming white marble, depicting scenes of traditional Roman piety.
The altar was meant to be a vision of the Roman civil religion. 
Love the contrast of the old and the new.
The Papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, the official ecclesiastical seat of the Pope.


Inside the basilica. It is the oldest among the four Papal Basilicas.
Ang dilim. Hehe.


The Colosseum, an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome.
Roman Goddess... by the street.
One of the most famous fountains in the world: Trevi Fountain. It is the largest Baroque fountain in the city.
I think I swallowed a coin!
Built more than 1800 years ago, the magnificent Pantheon building still stands as a reminder of the great Roman empire.
A bunch of souvenirs are available outside.

Siguro this is where they got the idea for Manila Post Office! Haha
The Papal balcony.
Vaticano. It is the only obelisk in Rome that has not toppled since Roman times.
Columns galore.
The Pontifical Swiss Guards of Vatican City.
They have been serving since 1506!
Shall I pinch this guy in the butt?
Inside the cathedral, kids eagerly wait for the pope to come out.



Pope Benedict XVI
What you call the back head shots. Sorry I'm not a pro photographer. :)
More heads.
Close-up.
My only chance to take his photo up close and look what happened!
It's tea time in Rome! Babington's Tea Rooms sells more than a hundred varieties of tea!
Look Angeletti!
Please visit Angelette's store when you're in Rome! Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment